Wednesday, December 06, 2006

jazz hands!

Well, that was fun. Jenny Lewis and the Watson Twins were lovely. Jenny was, disappointingly, not wearing The Boots. But she sure can belt it out, I tell you what. And wear a spangly dress like nobody's business. I liked her songs better live, too, which can only be a good sign.

The other band, which shall remain nameless because that is not the kind of crowd I want visiting my blog, was — well, let me say this. The highlights of the show were:
  • A thirteen-year-old girl in front of me was so excited at one point that she spontaneously made jazz hands.
  • During their cover of the Sonics' "I'm Going Home," as Ben Gibbard sang a line about going home to mom and dad, a thirteen-year-old boy behind us yelled, "Mom and Dad!! Woo!!!"
  • Sometimes the stage lights made cool shadows on the walls.
  • It's fun to mock Ben Gibbard's dance. (He kind of looks like a muppet.)
  • After the show, instead of handing out flyers listing other bands playing in the area like at a normal concert, people were handing out little postcards advertising the band's fan club. No, really, it was adorable.
As you can see, there's something missing from that list. Well, that's okay. I don't have to love every band I see. As a wise man once said, this life is filled with many sweet companions, many satisfying one-night stands. Etc.

The best, best, best part of the evening was that they played Wire's "Three Girl Rhumba" as we were walking out. It was just like the time I was at that Sisters of Mercy concert and they played the Doors' "Love Her Madly" after the show, only the opposite.

Now I have to go write about Frankenstein. And also for some reason listen to everything that Spoon has ever released. (N.B.: Their website can be found at spoontheband.com. I could do that.)

p.s. Unrelated: posts like this are why justalittleguy is my favorite cuteness blog. No homo.

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

At 9:58 AM PST, Blogger idler king said...

Whoa. I didn't think you had any competition in the cute/profane arena, but it looks like I was wrong. Still, you have the spelling.

 
At 1:23 PM PST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Weren't you the one all petting on the "sweet, gentle hipsters"?? Psh.

Arlington acoustics suck donkey dick.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home