Tuesday, August 08, 2006

an aside

Hits on my blog today which list bogus referrers: 19. Nine claiming to be from Israel, one from Ukraine, one from the Maldives, one from Japan, one from the U.S., and six from the U.K. Most of the listed referrers are Russian LiveJournal friends pages which, needless to say, do not in fact link to me. This seems like a singularly ineffective way to disseminate spam. Has this happened to any (either) of my readers with blogs of their own? What's the game here?

3 Comments:

At 12:20 AM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

IDK, there was that one day, after I admitted to having a tracker and asked people to introduce themselves, where I got like 80 hits in 10 minutes, from all over the freaking place. It only happened that once so I figured it was someone trying to be funny.

 
At 1:02 AM PDT, Blogger idler king said...

I don't get anything like that from livejournal, but I've noticed that immediately after I make a new post (and for about ten minutes to half an hour thereafter), I often get a little flurry of activity from unknown readers whose referrers are other blogspot locations. Maybe the "Next Blog" button in effect.

 
At 10:52 AM PDT, Blogger thedrymock said...

Yeah, I've always assumed the blogspot referrers are from the "Next Blog" function. But this is definitely a different beast. There's really no way these LJ pages could really be referring here so there's some kind of fakery going on, I just can't figure out why.

Shosh, now I remember you posting about that too. It's probably a similar thing, I guess. Except in this case, it's not all within a short period of time &mdash in fact, it's still going on. It seems to average once an hour or so.

Blah. I give up. Well, either that, or I form a conspiracy theory. No, a conspiracy theory sounds hard, I definitely give up.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home