Thursday, January 05, 2006

why am I always on a plane or a fast train?

I'm completely in love with Rufus Wainwright's Want One right now. It's my boyfriend. Or I'm its boyfriend. Or something. Whatever, it's super awesome. I mean, I shouldn't have to tell you how hot it gets me to hear someone quoting the theme song from Three's Company (in "I Don't Know What It Is"). I'm actually being serious here, although it concerns me that I seem to be developing a weakness for music that sounds like showtunes. I've read some less-than-rave reviews of this album, but it's instantly worked its way into my consciousness. Time and more listens may work it right back out the other side again (like a porcupine quill) but right now it's occupying a big part of my brain.

Also, consider this a plug for AllOfmp3.com. It's a Russian mp3 download site where you can purchase entire albums for under $2 (you pay according to the file size you're downloading). It's apparently perfectly legal (I have links explaining why, but they're not handy, just do a search for "allofmp3 legal" if you're interested) although after learning more about how it works you may want to consider using another service. In a nutshell, it's a company that has purchased the legal right to broadcast songs from the Russian version of BMI or ASCAP. According to what I've read, there is no legal issue with this Russian company re-selling these songs in electronic format and in fact, the RIAA actually encourages this sort of thing, although not in the U.S.

I dunno, but my rationalization for using this service is that I have a finite amount of money to spend on music, so I can either choose to purchase less music and (probably) give each artist more money, or I can purchase more music and give more artists less money apiece. I like music, so I'd rather get more music. With this particular service, I also get the added bonus that none of the money I'm paying is going to the record companies (at least that's my understanding). Oh yes, and AllOfmp3 has some endearingly questionable English usage, if you're into that sort of thing.

While I'm on this topic, I also like emusic.com a lot. They give you a free trial with 50 free song downloads when you sign up, then you pick what pricing plan you want after that. It's at least worth signing up for the free trial.

Anyway, Rufus Wainwright. AllOfmp3. Emusic. If any of this isn't already old hat to you, get to work, people!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home