Thursday, September 04, 2008

a vignette

I had an encounter today with an Asshole Meat-Eater. Not your average meat-eater, who does his/her thing without being a dick to those who do not eat meat. Nope, this guy, after I defended myself from the waitress's allegations of being "healthy" because I asked for a cobb salad without the chicken and the bacon, (a) spent several minutes quizzing me on how I "get enough protein," then (b) told me about how he tried not to eat meat one time for like two days and just couldn't handle it, then (c) talked at length about how people "need meat to survive". All of that is old hat, but then -- then he decided to break out his A material, to wit: "So, you won't eat meat at a restaurant, and you won't eat meat at home -- but let me ask you, what about roadkill?" And then he fucking guffawed, my friends. An actual guffaw came out of his actual face.

I've been asked some bizarre questions and dealt with some true douchebags on the subject of my eating habits over the course of my life, but I am pretty sure that this one beats them all. And what really gets me is that it's been years since anyone has been an asshole to me about being a vegetarian. Last time the subject came up at a work-related lunch, every other person around the table talked about how someone(s) they are related to or know well is a vegetarian, too. I even commented on it -- I probably said Man, living in these future times is awesome!! or words to that effect. Well, I guess it ain't the future yet, not even in California.

On the other hand, on Saturday I get to watch two men marry each other. Which is even better than not getting hassled for my gustatory decisions.

2 Comments:

At 8:41 AM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My least favorite question of all time is "You don't eat meat - so what what DO you eat???" as if every bit of food there is out there is pure meat or has meat in it.

~lil sis

 
At 9:47 AM PDT, Blogger thedrymock said...

I know, right? I think what personally bugs me most is the assertion that "human beings need meat to survive," because, helloooo, am I somehow not surviving here? Has the impression I've had for the past 30 years that I'm, you know, alive been nothing but an illusion? Seriously, I'm not bothering you about it, so why do you feel the need to defend your meat-eating to me? If you want to eat meat, you're allowed, but at least fucking own it, buddy, don't try to tell me of all people that you don't have a choice.

Wow, I'm cranky.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home