Saturday, November 04, 2006

technically it's homework, hush

We've been given the option of writing a review of one of three movies about the Shelley/Shelley/Byron/Byron's chippie ghost-story challenge. Well, I left John Polidori out of that list, but so apparently does this movie, the only one of the three available from Netflix. That's really fine by me, I've read his thing and I'm okay with it not being talked about. I do, however, have an objection to the last sentence of the plot summary: "...Byron makes his historical proposition that Mary and her cousin Claire each concoct a horror story."

Ahem. So... wait, the proposition didn't include Byron himself, or Percy Shelley, or Dr. Polidori, just Mary... and her cousin... who is played by Elizabeth Hurley. What kind of a horror story do you think this movie is going to have Byron propositioning Mary and Claire with? I'm taking bets.

Byron, incidentally, is played by Hugh Grant.

Labels: , ,

7 Comments:

At 10:42 PM PST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is the stupidest movie I have ever not-seen. You'd be better off writing your paper using Encino Man for reference.

 
At 11:18 PM PST, Blogger idler king said...

Ah, bless you for remembering the original live action Scooby casting.

Byron and his chippie, hee ha. I still haven't seen Rowing with the Wind, but Gothic is bearable with a bottle of wine. Gabriel Byrne as Byron, Julian Sands as Percy, and Natasha Richardson as Mary. But, really, skip that junk and go right to Frankenstein Unbound, in which future scientist John Hurt and his talking car tear the space-time continuum a new one and go back to 19th C. England. Raul Julia as Victor Frankenstein, Bridget Fonda as Mary, and . . . yes indeedy, Michael Hutchence as Percy.

I would totally do a Romantics movie fest in the name of serious scholarship.

 
At 1:13 PM PST, Blogger thedrymock said...

Professor, I have decided to use a different source text for this film review? It's a sort of Frankenstein story, albeit one in which the monster is way hotter than Victor.

Gothic isn't available from Netflix, but is on my professor's list of acceptable films. Gabriel Byrne has to make an infinitely better Byron than Scoob. It can't be all bad with that cover, either.

The third film we can write about is Haunted Summer: The Elephant Man as Byron, the Borg Queen as Mary Shelley (or Mary Godwin, according to IMDB), Eric Stoltz as Percy, and Laura Dern as Claire Clairmont. It apparently features Mary "discovering an evil that threatened their sanity" during a summer spent "experimenting with free love and drugs." I want to see this one the worst.

The worst, that is, except for the talking car/Michael Hutchence thing. I've never heard of anything more awesome. We are so doing a Romantics movie fest. Though so far all but one of these films is unavailable from Netflix, so we're placing a great burden on Video Schmideo here.

Oh my god I am going to get hardcore extra credit.

 
At 3:11 PM PST, Blogger Randall James said...

Um, did anybody else notice that Haunted Summer features Bill S. Preston, Esq. as Polidori?

 
At 4:51 PM PST, Blogger thedrymock said...

HOW DID I MISS THAT. Sheeyit.

 
At 8:42 PM PST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so in. Can we eat pie while we watch it? Please? I need pie.

 
At 10:52 PM PST, Blogger idler king said...

My cursory examination says Shmideo has Gothic on DVD and Frankenstein Unbound on VHS. Next time I can actually ask someone, though.

Alex Winter has been in every movie made since Lost Boys, just waiting.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home